Monday, February 16, 2009

step up to the plate


It’s becoming clear to me that I am in a circular conversation that I can’t get out of. ["Look kids, Big Ben – Parliament."]

Nik: Hi [insert new persons name]
New person: Hi, nice to meet you. So what do you do?
Nik: Oh, well I’m looking for a job.
Person: Interesting. How’s that going?
Nik: [gulp of stiff drink] Gonna start looking tomorrow!
[and repeat]

That’s pretty much how it goes here in the city. What’s your name? What do you do? These questions give most New Yorkers the two-second insight they need to sum up a person. [if you get a ‘where do you live’ question, then another whole level of deep and rich demographic info is available to judge a person by]

It’s easy to see how looking for a job can get a guy or gal down in the dumps. The good news is – there’s good news. Resources are out there to help us in either direction we decide to go:

5 Custom Solutions by Marty Nemko breaks down your sad stories and offers a nifty two-week get’er done schedule. I like day seven.

10 Reasons Procrastination Is Good For You by Mark D Fillz gives ten swell reasons to justify your sad stories. Again, I like number seven.

But really there are tons of options to keep up the positive attitude during our job safari search. Have an iPod or MP3 player? Download an audio book. You can nab Richard Carlson’s Don’t Sweat Guide to Your Job Search for under ten bucks on iTunes.

Personally, I am a fan of thinking happy thoughts.

4 comments:

  1. You have a great way with a story. While my heart goes out to them..I really wonder if there are homeless people out there with catalog
    castles?? I've always wondered what they did with the old books, you may have found something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy friend. Thanks for posting! I can't help but wonder if those catalog castles are warm this time or year. Perhaps a little drafty? In any case, the rents better then mine! Don't get me started. That could be a whole other blog. Thanks for visiting and come again.

    Take care and keep up the blog feedback!
    :-) Nik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your comments and thought process, Nikki. You make me laugh out loud, though I know and appreciate the challenges of a long job search. I am very grateful that I saved a lot to weather through my current student situation, and I'm sending good vibes to all of you with rent and bills to pay.

    two words (that worked magic for me): Grad school.

    looking forward to reading you,
    Spoonie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoonie: Thanks for stoppin'.

    ...but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to *^$%@* amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?...

    Oh sigh, Goodfellas. I'm here to help however because laughs or not the Eye in the Sky is watching us all...

    Take care and keep up the blog feedback!
    :-) Nik

    ReplyDelete